Assemblywoman Cheryl Brown will deliver the keynote speech and eight current and former Cal State San Bernardino faculty members and alumni will be honored during the Black Faculty, Staff and Students Association Pioneer Breakfast on Friday, March 8.
Brown, D-San Bernardino, who is a longtime supporter of the university, is herself a CSUSB alumna, having received a bachelor’s degree in geography.
Proceeds from the event will support scholarships and the annual African American Graduation recognition dinner, said Kathryn Ervin, chair of the university’s theatre arts department.
The event will be held at the university’s Santos Manuel Student Union Events Center from 9-11 a.m. The event is open to the public. Tickets are $10 to the public and $5 for students. Parking on campus is $5.
The honorees are:
- Former California Assemblywoman and CSUSB alumna Wilmer Amina Carter, who holds a bachelor’s degree in English and a master’s degree in education from Cal State San Bernardino. Carter also coordinated legislative and community relations for CSUSB under president Al Karnig.
- Walter Hawkins, retired director of research policy and analysis at the CSUSB department of undergraduate studies.
- Jean Peacock, an alumna, a professor of psychology and former associate dean in the university’s College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Mildred Henry, the first African American to become a tenured professor at the CSUSB College of Education and now a professor emeritus.
- Lois Carson, a member of the university’s first graduating class in 1967, she also created the Black Future Leaders program.
- Sam Fellows, alumnus, who holds a master’s degree in education and social work.
- And Milton Clark, an alumnus and associate professor of English, who is currently the CSUSB associate vice president for undergraduate studies and was recently named the university’s chief diversity officer.
Also to be honored will be departed alumni and staff members who were campus pioneers.
For more information, call Kathryn Ervin at (909) 537-5892, fax at (909) 537-7016 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Cal State San Bernardino, contact the university’s Office of Public Affairs at (909) 537-5007 and visit news.csusb.edu.