Senior Kwame Alexander, who this season became the first Coyote in history to have at least 800 points, 500 rebounds and 60 blocks in a career, has been named to the Daktronics NCAA Division II West Region Men’s Basketball first-team honors squad.
Alexander enters Friday’s NCAA West Region Tournament as the leading scorer (16.3 points) and rebounder (8.6) in the CCAA. He ranks inside the top 10 in seven CSUSB career categories and will finish with an eighth in field goal percentage when the season is completed.
Alexander is joined by junior guard Brian Goins, who was named to the second team. The Concord native was a first-team All-CCAA choice and the conference’s Newcomer of the Year. He averages 15.7 points a game and has scored in double figures in 22 of his 26 games and scored 20 or more points in eight games.
Alexander and Goins lead the Coyotes in Friday’s NCAA game against Dixie State in Bellingham, Wash,’ their first postseason appearance in three seasons.
Western Washington senior guard John Allen was voted player-of-the-year. Allen (17.3 points per game) led the defending NCAA champions to the Great Northwest Athletic Conference regular-season title.
WWU’s Paul Jones, Cal Poly Pomona guard Michael Anderson and Seattle Pacific guard David Downs are the other first-team selections.
Anderson and Alexander are repeat selections from last year when each earned second-team honors.
Selected to the second team are: guards DeAndre Haskins of Chaminade, Mark McLaughlin of Central Washington, Terrence Drisdom of Cal Poly Pomona, forward Decensae White of San Francisco State and center Zach Robbins of Dixie State.
Student-athletes selected to the region first team move on to the Daktronics All-American national ballot. The All-American team will be announced March 21.
The D2SIDA All-America men’s basketball team is sponsored by Daktronics Inc., an acknowledged world leader in scoring, timing and programmable display systems for virtually every sport at every level of competition. The teams are voted on by the members of D2SIDA, NCAA Division II Sports Information Directors Association.
2013 DAKTRONICS ALL-WEST REGION TEAMS
- John Allen, Western Washington, guard, 6-1, senior, Brier, Wash.
- Mitchel Anderson, Cal Poly Pomona,* guard, 6-5, senior., Temecula, Calif.
- David Downs, Seattle Pacific, guard, 6-2, junior, Kirkland, Wash.
- Kwame Alexander, Cal State San Bernardino,* forward, 6-7, junior, Moreno Valley, Calif.
- Paul Jones, Western Washington, forward, 6-4, senior, Kent, Wash.
- DeAndre Haskins, Chaminade, guard, 6-4, senior, Long Beach, Calif.
- Mark McLaughlin, Central Washington, guard, 6-6, junior, Bothell, Wash.
- Zach Robbins, Dixie State, center, 6-10, sophomore, Upland, Calif.
- Decensae White, San Francisco State, forward, 6-6, senior, Pacifica, Calif.
- Terrence Drisdom, Cal Poly Pomona, guard, 6-4, junior, Corona, Calif.
- Brian Goins, Cal State San Bernardino, guard, 5-10, junior, Concord, Calif.
*Second team in 2011
Keep up with the latest sports news at Coyote Athletics.